Wednesday, January 27, 2010

French Fries

I understand why people love, and depend on, fast food--I really do. But if they knew how simple it is to make healthier homemade versions at home, they may just eat out less often.

Slice up some red-skinned potatoes (you could really use any kind you like, but I enjoy the waxy potatoes with the skin on for added fiber and nutrition), toss with a touch of extra-virgin olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and dried oregano. Spread out onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and roast in a 425-degree oven for 45 minutes, or until dark golden brown and crispy.



What merits these potatoes as fries, instead of simply roasted potatoes, is the crispness, which is achieved by the thin slices and high heat. Dip them into ketchup and you're likely to never crave fast food French fries again.

4 comments:

  1. I re-created this in my own kitchen and I have to disrespectfully disagree. Yukon Gold. Mandolin. The end result was not horrible, but I just dont feel that it comes anywhere near the flavor of tossing them into a dutch oven full of 400 degree coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear your experience did not pan out as mine did. I thinly sliced the potatoes with a knife, not a mandolin, into wedges so they would not fall apart or stick to the pan.

    Of course, if we are discussing potato chips, deep-frying in an oil high in saturated fat (coconut oil) will yield a product that is crispy and quite delicious. But if we are attempting to recreate a fast-food favorite that uses monounsaturated fat (olive oil, a heart healthy choice), I maintain my position that this recipe is a delicious option that greatly compares to its cholesterol-raising counterpart.

    I'd love to hear more about this recipe from others, so I can evaluate its quality. I will also re-comment the next time I make it.

    Even though we don't see eye-to-eye, Angry in Idaho, I appreciate your feedback and your visit. Criticism, both constructive and not-so-much, is always welcome, as it creates a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eloquent response, Jax, to a comment that has little to do with the purpose of your blogspot.
    I maintain your position as well!

    ReplyDelete