Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dark Beer Syrup

This weekend was dominated by culinary prowess, ethanol indulgence and ludicrous hours of brainless comedies. After all, that's what surviving a "hurricane" is all about, right? My being forced to stay indoors tapped a vein of inspiration to execute no-nonsense, fail-proof meals that were guaranteed to please all palates.

One of these recipes was ice cream with dark beer syrup. I made this once before, years ago, when I really didn't know my way around the kitchen. Knowing a bit more now, with a touch of culinary school behind me, I made a killer ice cream topping.

Reduce any dark beer of your choice over medium-high heat. Once it becomes thick, reduce to medium-low and stir in brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Turn the heat off and swirl in a decent knob of butter. Spoon the syrup over high-quality vanilla or coffee ice cream (don't skimp on this part, please. Just don't do it) and enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. WHEN ARE WE GETTING SOME?
    Pictures say a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon--I promise!! While pictures say a thousand words, people like you, Mappy, and me manage to always say more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks DELICIOUS! I'll have to try it this week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amanda! Do it--it's so easy and tasty it's silly.

    ReplyDelete