Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Confession

I have never really liked hot dogs. No really, I'm not kidding. But it seems that during the past two months, I have been talking about hot dogs a lot lately. And finally, I admitted that I do, indeed, LOVE hot dogs. They just gotta be good...

Which brings me to my second hot dog post (and perhaps my last, since I am supposed to mention some healthy things in this blog on occasion).

I recently visited one of my best friends, Frank, in Chicago, something that I have been meaning to do for too long, and finally initiated after watching No Reservations: Chicago. In this episode, Anthony Bourdain visits Hot Doug's: The Sausage Superstore and Encased Meat Emporium. I'd like to think that my experience was similar to his.



Drove through a somewhat shady area of Chicago (picture the town in The Deer Hunter), waited in line outside, squeezed our way through the first set of doors into the space I referred to as The Holding Cell. A friend of Frank's anticipated our meal to resemble something from the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" episode, but instead we were warmly greeted by friendly folk.

Nevermind what everyone else ate; I chowed down on a traditional Chicago-style dog, which was accompanied by caramelized onions, relish, tomatoes, a pickle spear, and celery salt. Yum. The second hot dog I ordered (yes, I ate two) was the foie gras dog. A duck and Sauternes sausage topped with some sort of black truffle aoili and a generous portion of foie gras--the best $9 I've spent probably in the past two years.

My only complaint is that the duck fat fries, which are only served on Friday and Saturday, were just not what I had expected. I mean, they were fine--but just not wonderful.

I can't wait to get back to Chicago. And not only for the great dogs, but also the great company.


Me with my cheesy foie gras smile

2 comments:

  1. Great job! Anthony would be proud...
    Foie gras smile...SO CUTE!!!
    Amazing how a person who years ago said they hated cooking and hated hot dogs has come to appreciate both!
    keep inspiring me and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, the journey I have been on is nothing short of incredible. Hard to believe that the person who used to say she'd hire people to cook for her wants to go to culinary school. Ah, some day...Thanks for the love!

    ReplyDelete