Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Hearty Salad

If we're expected to get to know each other better, there is something I must tell you: I really hate salads in the winter. Just the thought makes me want to grind me teeth. Cold, crunchy, uncooked--yuck.

Recently I was making red lentil soup (refer to the post "Two New Things" on September 2, 2009 for the recipe) and needed something to round out the meal. A friend suggested salad, and I cringed. But I figured it would be a simple accompaniment to a humble entree, and went for it. And it wasn't so bad!

Actually, it was so good that I decided to make it again tonight for dinner, and added some chicken to make it filling and hearty.

Here's how to do it: Saute chicken breasts on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the meat. Meanwhile, assemble salad greens on a plate (the darker the color, the more nutrients), sprinkle with pistachio nuts, crumbled goat cheese, and sliced apples. Prepare the salad dressing, which comprises apricot jelly, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Top the salad with the chicken and drizzle with dressing.



Now, I can't say that I am a changed woman, but I will admit that it wasn't a terrible experience. In fact, the salad was pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment