Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Butternut Squash and Pear Soup

Last weekend a couple of my very best friends visited me in Brooklyn. We had a great time going out dancing, but what was even better was the Sunday we spent together eating, drinking and preparing a soup that reminds me of sitting in the kitchen, watching my mom cook.


Saute sliced celery and leeks in a pot with extra-virgin olive oil until fairly soft. Add cubed pears (leave the skin on to increase the nutrient and fiber content--you won't realize it's there once the soup is pureed) and butternut squash to the pot and cover with vegetable or chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Allow to cook for about 20-25 minutes and then puree. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in evaporated skim milk if desired. (Are you noticing a pattern with soup making? It's too easy!)

Enjoy this soup as my dear friends and I did: with lots of wine, a variety of cheeses and a hunk of crusty whole grain bread. This soup balances out the indulgences of the weekend!

4 comments:

  1. hey jax. great blog spot! Sitting here with mom over dinner enjoying your site. Teno

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup looks delicious, can't wait to try this recipe. What cheeses would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, anonymous. I encourage you to experiment with all sorts of cheeses--there's no wrong choice. As an appetizer for this soup, my friends and I selected an aged Manchego and a very, VERY stinky goat cheese which was firm on the inside and gooey towards the edges.

    ReplyDelete