Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Zucchini Overload

It's a funny thing, zucchini. I really enjoy eating it but I really don't enjoy finding new ways to use it. Perhaps it's due to laziness, or maybe it's complacence with ratatouille, but it's a standing issue. So there they sit in the refrigerator, the two courgettes, aging and staring me down. I searched recipes online and chose to simply slice, bread and bake the veggies.

But what to have with the lonely zucchini? That's where my mom comes in: she was doing her own recipe and restaurant research, and mentioned a dish of eggs poached in tomato sauce.

I'm sold.


Slice the zucchini in slices to the desired thickness. Dip in egg mixed with milk. Combine bread crumbs with grated parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Dredge the zucchini in the bread crumb mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 425-degree oven for about 30-35 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.

Meanwhile, pour tomato sauce (I just used a store-bought sauce due to time constraints, but obviously homemade would be best) into a sautee pan. Once the sauce is bubbling, add eggs and let it slowly poach until the whites are firm. Serve the eggs with the breaded zucchini and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

For now, zucchini has redeemed itself--and with the humble egg, of all ingredients.

4 comments:

  1. I am currently enjoying this dish for breakfast (I slept late. Very late) with crispy rosemary potatoes instead of zucchini. Absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful looking dish! Delicious, too, I'm sure...Great idea using the zucchini as a side dish to the poached eggs in tomato sauce...I'm intrigued!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make this for me when I visit you!

    ReplyDelete