Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

It's one of the first things I learned to cook in a culinary class during my undergraduate studies. I was completely fascinated by the transformation of whole, fresh apples into a sweet bowl of mush. It was so simple and delicious, especially when eaten warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon. When my coworker recently told me that she made applesauce from scratch in the microwave, I knew I had to give it a go.

I typically hate how everything in the apartment absorbs food odors, but the sweet smell of cooking apples permeated the air and made me feel like snuggling under a warm blanket and watching a movie from my childhood. Yes, it's that good.


Peel, core and dice apples. Place in a shallow bowl with a little water and a bit of lemon juice. Cover the bowl and heat on high in the microwave until the apples fall apart easily with a bit of pressure from a fork.

2 comments:

  1. That's it! That is so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOO easy! Now if I could only find a way to keep the skin on the applesauce to retain the fiber...Oh well--this is damn tasty.

    ReplyDelete