Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cheese on Toast


Growing up, we called it "more, more, more": a slice of white bread folded in half, a slice of American cheese melted inside, thanks to the microwave. The thought of it conjures up my earliest memories of cooking with Mom. No matter how sophisticated my palate becomes, my mouth will always water when I think of more, more, more.

Only recently was I introduced to a slightly more upscale version of my childhood favorite. Popular in the U.K., cheese on toast is a winner for breakfast that keeps me full for hours. All you need is hearty, high-fiber bread and the strongest, sharpest cheddar you can stand. Toast the bread or place under the broiler, flip, top with cheese and toast or broil until melted. When I'm feeling a little more grown up, I top with preserves and fresh herbs -- the combination of apricot and basil is perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Only someone like you could express their memories and personal experiences through the medium of food, with such class, eloquence and humor.

    ReplyDelete