Monday, April 19, 2010

Kumquat Salad

Tonight I've been "picking" for dinner. Rummaging through the cabinets and refrigerator (which, thanks to a trip to Trader Joe's with my mom, are both packed with food), taking a bite of this and a nibble of that. But nothing really grabbed the full attention of my taste buds.

Until I spotted the kumquats (they look like tiny oranges and are meant to be eaten whole, skin and all).


I felt like I needed to have some roughage tonight, so I opened a bag of mixed greens and dumped them into a bowl. On top: sliced kumquats, crumbled (low-fat) feta cheese, and a honey mustard vinaigrette (simple: mustard, honey, salt, pepper, vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil).

I am literally typing this post in between bites of this incredible salad. The kumquats are both sweet and tart, which compliments the saltiness of the cheese. The dressing adds another sweet-tart element, without overpowering the stars of the salad.

Finally! I'm completely satisfied. Now it's time for dessert...

2 comments:

  1. I'm making this for dinner tomorrow, yum! -- Ben Folds

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Ben Folds!! Wow, whodathunk a famous musician would visit my blog!!! ;) Hope you enjoy your meal! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete