Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lettuce Talk Potatoes

I feel so sorry for the humble potato. Why is it that the whole world seems to believe that potatoes are bad for us? Okay--of course if we eat too many potatoes, or if we deep-fry them, or slather them with butter/cheese/bacon/sour cream, they'll end up being not-so-healthy. Truth is, potatoes are very good for us. They are full of dietary fiber (which resides primarily in the skin), potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. If we consume them in moderation, leave the skin on, and indulge appropriately, these little tubers are very nutritious. Potatoes are also inexpensive, making them a wonderful starch we can all enjoy.

To celebrate the potato, I am sharing my recipe for mashed potatoes. A very simple dish, I know. But with a little attention and a few simple ingredients, these mashed potatoes turn into the star of the meal.

Start by roasting a whole head of garlic. Cut off the top, place in a piece of foil, and sprinkle with salt, black pepper, and a bit of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in the foil and place in a 400-degree oven for about 40 minutes. Then, open the foil, and allow the garlic to cool.

While the garlic is getting the heat treatment, dice red bliss potatoes (skin on, please) into uniform pieces. Steam until fork-tender, about 10-15 minutes; the smaller the dice, the quicker they cook.

Mash or whip the potatoes to any consistency you desire, using skim milk to thin out the mixture. Now, take that garlic you cooked earlier and squeeeeeeze it so that all the little cloves just plop right out and into the potatoes. (Go ahead--try a clove on its own. It's like candy.) Add a small amount of butter or trans fat-free margarine to give the potatoes that mouthfeel we seek when eating this dish. Sprinkle in parmigiano reggiano and stir it all together.


This side dish was so unbelievable that I'm not even going to try to describe it. Just make it and you'll know.

2 comments:

  1. I purchased an 8lb bag of potatoes for $1.33 on Monday, so this has been a pretty potato heavy week. Coincidentally, I made a huge batch of these last night and they were so good I actually don't even remember what else I ate. I used half & half though, because I gave up skim milk for lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha-giving it up for Lent, eh? I'm glad you got to make and enjoy the recipe!

    ReplyDelete