Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lettuce Revisit Rock Cornish Game Hens

It was a Monday and I had to make a nice meal to show off my culinary chops. I jotted down a few ideas and created grocery lists. I wanted it to be simple, elegant, and I didn't want to work too hard.

Enter Cornish Game hens. Though I've only made them once before, I knew I can handle it. These little birds cook quickly, and each person gets their own little carcass to pick at. Perfect. (See post on August 28, 2009: Rock Cornish Game Hens for details about my first hen experience.)

Season the hens inside and out with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stuff each cavity with a hunk of lemon, a couple of garlic cloves, and fresh herbs of your choice (I used rosemary and thyme). Rub the outside of the birds with olive oil. Roast in a 450-degree oven for about 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 400 degrees and finish cooking for about another 20 minutes or so. The birds are done when the juices run clear (not pink) and the legs wiggle freely (when you wiggle them, just to clarify).

I served the Cornish Game hens with a simple side of roasted carrots and Brussels sprouts, and mashed potatoes (from post Lettuce Talk Potatoes on April 6, 2010).



P.S. When you're done having fun with this dinner, save the bones and use them for homemade stock. Mine are in the freezer waiting for me...

2 comments:

  1. your secret admirerMay 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM

    Well, I've been cooking for 25 plus years and to this day, I have yet to cook a game hen. How ridiculous! Perfect meal for two! Hey-maybe that's why I've never made them before... ;)
    Can't wait to try your method..

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoOo! Secret admirer, eh?! You need to get on the bandwagon, starting with this easy recipe. Roasted chicken is one of my favorites, but it takes so much time. This is a great way to get that rich flavor without spending all night in the kitchen. And what's even better, since one is good for one person, you can make as many as you need! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete