Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Brown Rice Pudding

There I was, hungry...at midnight. Craving something sweet; there was nothing.

Except...

Some left over brown rice that I had purchased from my local Chinese takeout place and used for a quick weeknight meal. And milk. And there's always sugar and cinnamon in the apartment.

An epiphone: I remember my mom telling me she has been trying to perfect a rice pudding recipe. I figured that there had to be a way to concoct a quick rice pudding that would fill the hole in my belly and satisfy my sweet teeth (I do believe that all my teeth--not just one--are sweet teeth).

A brief Google search brought me to this recipe: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1942,148165-254201,00.html

Everything starts in a pot without any heat. Once all the ingredients are mixed together, then turn the stove on. I didn't measure any of the ingredients--just flopped them into the pan and stopped adding when everything looked and smelled right. I used golden raisins because, well, I just think they taste better than the darker ones. Forget beating the egg white and folding it into the cooled rice; I skipped this step, ate it warm and it was creamy, sweet, and chewy. Yum.


3 comments:

  1. Good job, my creative child!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the inspiration, my amazing mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: tonight I made coconut and ginger brown rice pudding, starting with uncooked rice. It was delicious and satisfying on this cold December night, but I'd rather stick with buying brown rice from a Chinese food place. I would then use light coconut milk to reheat the rice, and throw in a nob of fresh ginger to infuse the dish (discard before eating).

    ReplyDelete