Thursday, October 15, 2009

Roasted Brussels Sprouts: A Love Affair

A few years ago, when I was attending NYU, my dad visited the city and wanted to take me out to dinner. After searching for nice places to eat, we decided on Alta, a restaurant in the West Village that serves small plates. Its entrance is easily missed, as evidenced by our walking up and down the block trying to find a sign, a glimmer of hope. We sipped on fancy cocktails and sampled a few dishes. The one that surprisingly stood out most was the crispy brussels sprouts. The sprouts were fancily accompanied with apples, creme fraiche, and pistachios...


While my version is much simpler, it is easy to prepare and just as delicious as Alta's, without all the fancy accompaniments. All you do is half the brussels sprouts and toss with olive oil, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Roast them in a 425-degree oven for 35-40, or until the outside layers are crispy and dark brown.

http://www.altarestaurant.com/?q=munchies

2 comments:

  1. There an article in GQ a few months ago about Brussel Sprouts. David Chang (of Momofuku and Noodle Bar fame)contributed a very similar version of your recipe. He pan fried some pancetta first, then seared the sprouts in the same pan, then put it in the oven for 15 min. Finish with sriracha sauce and fresh squeezed lime. I didn't get around to trying it, but your recipe might finally motivate me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! I have been dying to try his restaurants; your post may have just motivated me to head over there.

    ReplyDelete