Saturday, March 12, 2011

Carrot Pudding

I need to start branching out. I can't quite describe the type of cook I am, or the style of cooking I most employ. I don't seem to choose one cuisine that I eminate in my kitchen. I do, however, know what I like -- and I like Indian food.

The only other time I've eaten carrot pudding before I made it was at work. Each semester, our dietetic interns will develop a healthy menu and serve their creations in the cafeteria for the employees. One year a student went with an Indian theme, and it was hugely sucessful. Especially for me, since I learned of this rich dessert. Now, I'm not sure exactly how healthy it was, but hey -- it was made of carrots, right?

I scoured the internet for carrot pudding recipes and, since I couldn't find just one that seemed both healthy, tasty and easy, formed some sort of hybrid attack at this Indian dessert.


Grate carrots, toss into a pot and cover with milk. (I was going through an evaporated skim milk phase, so that's what I used. I think I could have used any type of milk and it would have come out the same. Use whole milk for added richness, or low-fat or skim for a super-lean result.) If you have whole cardamom pods, add a couple to the mix.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until most of the milk has been absorbed by the carrots. Take the pudding off of the heat. If you are not using whole cardamom, now's the time to season with ground cardamom, or cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice. Add raisins, giving them time to absorb some of the milk and plump up.

Now give it a try; does it need a touch of salt? perhaps some sugar? Go ahead and season to taste. To finish, sprinkle with nuts for a textural difference that rounds out the dish (I used cashews, but pistachios or sliced almonds would be great as well).

Though perhaps not completely authentic, this recipe served as an easy way to introduce different flavors into my home. It'll take some time, but I hope to be more savvy in Indian cuisine in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment