Sunday, August 30, 2009

Fatty Crab

One of my all-time favorite places to dine in New York City. And maybe, just maybe, after reading this, you will be motivated to get away from the computer and check it out for yourself.

Fatty Crab is a small restaurant located in the West Village of Manhattan. For me, it's a little difficult and slightly confusing to get to, which may be part of the reason I love going there. The staff is helpful, the atmosphere laid-back. The music does not fit the decor, but somehow it works. Your waiter/waitress will ask if you've dined there before, and no matter what you're answer, he/she will tell you that the food is meant to be shared, and everything comes out at different times. This is their polite way of saying, "We basically do what we want here, and you'll pretty much have to deal with it."

Whatever you order, you will surely be pleased. Drawn heavily from Malaysian inspiration, each dish is bursting with bold and exotic flavors that balance well on the tongue. The green mango snack appears simple, but has a serious addictive flavor. The watermelon pickle and crispy pork is a sensational salad that is sweet, salty, and texturally complex. The lo si fun is an entree that I get almost every time, and it is consistently one of the best things on the menu. The broth is a rich, sweet thing that I could--and do--drink on its own. The coconut poached bass is delightfully creamy yet not overpowering. The only dish I have not absolutley loved is the nasi lemak; it's menu description made it seem delicious, but tasted somewhat how I'd imagine dog food to taste. Despite this one complaint, I am still in love with this place.

I've enjoyed much more from Fatty Crab, and the praise could go on, but I should stop because I've already had dinner and I am starting to salivate.

The last time my boyfriend and I ate there, as we were paying the bill, the waiter came by and said, "I'll be right back with some shots." I thought I had misheard him, and even looked to the couple next to me who assured me that he said, "I'll be right back with some shots." We waited, curiously, and indeed he came back. With shots. As he placed them in front of us, he said, "Shots for familiar faces!" We felt like mini-celebrities, and his small gesture made the evening that more special. I will continue to go there, again and again and again...

http://www.fattycrab.com/

4 comments:

  1. Very well written review.
    Kudos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's easy to compose a well-written review about this place, because it's that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally made it to the Fatty Crab. Thanks to your recomendation I tried the Watermelon with the Crispy Pork, and the Lo Si Fun, which were both quite good. I also tried the Chicken Claypot which added a nice variety to our meal. Of course we shared our dishes which was the best part of it all.

    If you can get over the closeness of the tables, the dim lights, and the little too loud music you can have a great time dining there. Yes, despite the 45 minute wait for a table, I will return because we had a good time.

    Bye the way, your Mom told me about this blogspot. It's quite interesting, good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you went! The wait is definitely an issue, especially during weekend evening hours (like most places in the city), and the restaurant does not accept reservations. However, if you can get past that part, like you did, it's worth it.

    Feel free to post recommendations on other restaurants that I should check out; I am always up for trying new things. Thank you for your support, and happy future dining!

    ReplyDelete