Friday, August 28, 2009

Rock Cornish Game Hen

No, no, the B-52s are not coming out with a new song. Rock Cornish Game hens are the romantic result of the marriage between White Rock hens and Cornish hens. I have always gravitated toward them in the poultry section of grocery stores, and, I confess, am one of those people that squeal and say, "Aww! How cute and little!" I finally got around to buying some.

I had an influx of fresh herbs from my boyfriend's mother's garden, and wanted to use them before they sat in the back of the fridge and turned black. To season the chickens, I used rosemary, oregano, lemon thyme, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Rub all these into the skin of the chicken and pile the birds on top of a bed of halved plum tomatoes, quartered onions, and big chunks of zucchini. Roast in a 425-degree oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until the juices run clear.


And please, whatever you do, don't be a fool like me and cook the bird upside-down. The breasts will be raw and you'll have to put it back in the oven. I speak from experience. Besides that little mishap, this was one of the best chickens I have ever had. Even though I am obsessed with how cute they are, I had no problem digging in and enjoying every edible body part that little chicken had to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Jackie,
    This is really becoming quite an entertaining, informative, very creative and all-around awesome blog spot!
    Keep writing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'll keep writing if you keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete