Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hearty Red Sauce...In This Heat?!

Typically in the dreary, humid days of August, I enjoy raw and minimally cooked foods to cool me down. But on the night I made this sauce, I was craving a slow-cooked, comforting flavor that I'd normally enjoy during the colder months.

Saute onions until soft. Add garlic, fresh rosemary (or thyme or oregano, or all three!), salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook for about one minute. Pile in sliced mushrooms--I used cremini mushrooms, or baby portabella, for an earthier taste--and once they soften, deglaze the pan with red wine. Let the wine cook down, and then add a big can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice. Allow the sauce to simmer until the tomatoes have further broken down, about 20 minutes. At this point, the sauce still seemed a little separate, with some liquid left that didn't evaporate. You could eat it as is, or add a little cornstarch mixed with water and stir into the sauce to thicken it slightly.

I served this with mini penne pasta and baby broccoli.


No comments:

Post a Comment