Friday, August 28, 2009

Lettuce Talk Cucumbers

The cucumber is one of those foods that I sparingly use to showcase a dish, unless I am preparing a standard cucumber salad as a summer side. I do love this fruit, especially when I munch on it whole, but I wanted it to shine as a main ingredient. And so, my own version of cucumber soup was born.

In a food chopper (or blender, food processor, Magic Bullet, etc.) puree cucumbers (give them a rough chop before adding to make for easier blending), plain nonfat yogurt, garlic, fresh oregano, fresh mint, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Serve cold, garnished with cucumbers diced small.



I typically buy English hothouse cucumbers, which come sealed in plastic wrap. The skins are not covered in wax, so you can leave them on, increasing the cucumber's nutritional value. This fruit contains vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, manganese, folate, and calcium. Cucumbers are also known for their beauty benefits; they hydrate skin, reduce puffiness around the eyes, and contain silica for complexion.

Eat a cucumber--or even better, make this soup--and feel healthy all over!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I just saw a certain doctor on the news who raved about the benefits of silica for anti-aging reasons. He recommended purchasing it in pill form-dosage of 50 mg/daily.

    I guess our previous generations were on to something when they would lie flat with cucumber slices on their eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You're absolutely right--sometimes Mother Nature provides us with the best stuff around, and big businesses try to trap her in a bottle and make her even better, which is often not the case.

    ReplyDelete