Thursday, September 24, 2009

Caprese Salad is Great, But...

...it could use a slight makeover. Wait--no, makeover may not be the word. The salad made of simply of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella. and basil is one of my favorites, especially drizzled with a little balsamic vinegar. I cannot claim that I had sought out the challenge of reinventing this salad. It happened accidentally.

This week I made a dinner that composed of many random things in my refrigerator that were either fresh from the farm stand or about to go bad. The dinner, sorry to say, did not go over very well with the tastebuds (hey--it happens), but something good did come out of it: I reinvented the caprese salad. Sorry, no pictures were taken, but trust me--this part of the meal was delicious.

Combine part-skim ricotta cheese, roughly chopped basil, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Spoon the mixture on top of medium slices of tomatoes (I used green, yellow, and red) and there you have it.

I know, I know. A very short post. But this new take on a classic needed to be posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment