Sunday, September 13, 2009

Les Halles

Now that you all recognize my "thing" for Anthony Bourdain, it is time I review the restaurant in which he once held the title Executive Chef.

Using only this blog as an indication, you may notice that I do not eat red meat often. It's not that I don't enjoy a juicy burger from time to time; it's just that I don't like to waste the calories on an okay hunk of meat. I'd rather choose leaner proteins and experiment with vegetarian options most of the time, and save up for a high-calorie, high-intensity beef dinner as a once-in-a-while treat. That being said, Les Halles is a no-frills brasserie that offers some of the best selections of beef I have ever had. This is the place to eat that steak with confidence, knowing that you ate light for a while to deserve such a delight.

My first time at Les Halles, I met up with two of my best friends since high school and fellow fans of Anthony Bourdain. We sampled many selections, including the classic onion soup. The crunchy, cheesy outer layer gave way to a silky, buttery masterpiece of mild, sweet onion broth. We also tried the escargots (snails), which were served individually swimming in their own little pool of garlic butter sauce. The sauce was strong but not overpowering, so you could savor the actual snail and enjoy its chewy texture. To finish we enjoyed an unfortunate and wonderful dessert of creme brulee and chocolate banana tart--unfortunate only because we left feeling like we needed to be wheelbarreled out of the restaurant.

The second experience I had here was with my parents, who are also huge Bourdain fans. I enjoyed the simple mesclun greens salad to start, which was surprisingly yummy despite the single ingredient. I was curious about the burger, which is priced at $21. Now, typically I wouldn't be happy spending my hard-earned money so frivilously on ground beef (well, actually, my parents ended up paying, but still). However, I figured, I'm in the mood for one and since it's $21, it has to be good! And it was. I asked for it medium-rare, and it came perfectly cooked with a pink middle. Served with crispy french fries and a black truffle red wine dipping sauce, I was in heart-attack heaven. And at the time, I really didn't mind. I cannot remember what my parents ordered, but I do remember they both got some type of steak with a dipping sauce and french fries. The steaks were tender and juicy, and their accompanied sauces paired nicely with the meat.

While Bourdain is long gone from Les Halles, eating here gives me a slight connection to the foods he enjoys. The food leaves me feeling satisfied, and slightly sad that it has to end. I am eagerly awaiting an excuse to pop in again.

http://www.leshalles.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment