Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The White Meal

It seems that every once in a strange while, I accidentally prepare a meal that is completely white. I don't know how it happens, and I never deliberately plan on it, but somehow this colorless color monopolizes the plate. Tonight was the night when white decided to appear once again. But man, was it good.

Here it is: tilapia with tzatziki sauce and spanakopita. Now remember, this is a weeknight and also just so happens to be laundry night, so I wasn't about to slave over creating homemade spanakopita. I used a frozen kind I had on hand from Trader Joe's, a lovely mixture of spinach and feta cheese tucked neatly into a triangle of layered filo dough. This brand is healthier than others I've seen on the market. Pop them into an oven until crispy and golden brown.

While the spanakopita cooks, prepare the tzatziki sauce: combine Greek yogurt, finely diced cucumbers, minced garlic, lemon zest and juice, oregano (all I had was dried which worked just fine), salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Typically this sauce calls for fresh oregano and mint, but my out-of-the-pantry version works very well. You can also stir in some feta cheese if you have it on hand.

Now cook the tilapia in a pan with a little olive oil over medium-high heat, about 3-4 minutes each side. Top the fish with the tzatziki sauce, and serve with the spanakopita.




I had not even the slightest intention of posting this meal on the blog (as you can tell by the partially eaten fish), but it was too good not to! It may look ghastly and unattractive, but it was delicious, healthy, and fast--definitely a perfect dinner to enjoy on laundry night. And speaking of laundry, I think my clothes are dry...that's it for tonight!

2 comments: