Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Good Fork

Oh I really do wish that the title of this post was my own cute creation, but I cannot take credit for it. This is the name of a restaurant in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Once my co-worker and friend mentioned that it was featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay on the Food Network (the dumplings being the focus of the show), I knew I had to try it. And I am so glad I did.

The decor is simple and the ceiling nautical, resembling the inside of a sailboat. The waitress was fine--not rude, but not overtly friendly--but the co-owner was delightful, which made up for the lackluster attitude. For appetizers, I sampled the pork and chive dumplings which were tender, juicy, and slightly crunchy from being pan-seared on one side, just how I like it. The fig salad had a lot of subtle and refreshing flavors that carried nicely on the palate. The entrees: seared sea scallops and bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin. The sweet scallops delightfully complimented the rich vegetable risotto beneath. The pork was perfectly salty and balanced well with the sour kale and pool of creamy polenta.

The entire menu is some sort of blend of nouveau American with a Korean twist. The Good Fork is moderately expensive, but definitely worth visiting for the once-in-a-while-treat-yourself-to-something-nice occasion.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's worth a visit.
    Great pictures by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're in the area, it's definitely worth visiting. While I can't take credit for the dishes, I can say thanks for the compliment on my amateur photography!

    ReplyDelete